A Brief Profile of Chigozie Ubani – Chairman, Global Science Development Initiatives
Chigozie Ubani is a young and visionary scientist with rich intellectual endowment. He is the Chairman, Global Science Development Initiatives, as well as the Presenter of her flagship seminars: Inculcating the Tenets of Great Scientists and Foundations for Future Great Scientists – both for which he has altogether presented in over 50 science seminars and workshops. Note-worthy are his presentations in FCT- Abuja Senior Secondary Schools in collaboration with the Science and Tech. Unit of the FCT- Secondary Education Board.
As a progenitor of great and noble initiatives, Chigozie has pioneered a number of inspiring programmes and publications in science, some of which include:
- JASSMA – The Voice of Science (i.e. the first journal in Joint Association of Science Students and in the history of Faculty of Biological and Physical Sciences, Abia State University, Uturu.
- The NYSC Drug Free Club, Wukari Zone vol 1 no.1 (which is a publication for public enlightenment on the perils of drug and substance abuse in Wukari, Taraba State, and arguably the first of its kind in the history of NYSC Drug Free Clubs in Nigeria).
- The Budding Scientist – Grooming Successors in Science, Mathematics and Engineering (which is a publication that offers mentoring to young people interested in science, mathematics and engineering, and published in collaboration with the Department of Technology and Science Education in the Federal Ministry of Education, Abuja). He is the Editor of this magazine.
- Abuja Science, Technology and Innovation Promotion Confab for Young and Aspiring Scientists (which is an annual event that gathers and inspires not less than 500 aspiring scientists in senior secondary schools in the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja, Nigeria). He is the Coordinator of this programme.
- Science Nigeria Lectures (which is a very prestigious public lecture that discusses topical issues in the frontiers of science and at the same time, promotes the works and contributions of Nigerian scientists). This lecture holds annually in top universities in Nigeria. He is also the Coordinator of this programme.
For his many contributions, Chigozie has been rewarded among other honours with the following:
- Corper of the Year Award, Wukari Local Government Area, Taraba State (2008)
- Best Corp Member, Federal Government College, Wukari, Taraba State (2008)
- Academic Giant Award, Ubakala Students Association, Abia State University chapter (2007)
- Award of Eminence, National Association of Biochemistry Students (NABS), Abia State University chapter (2006)
- Award of Excellence, Students Chemical Society of Nigeria, Abia State University chapter (2006)
- Merit Award, National Association of Statistics Students (NASS), Abia State University chapter (2006).
He is the author of the scintillating book Inculcating the Tenets of Great Scientists endorsed by a good number of very distinguished Nigerian scientists and approved and recommended for general reading by the Nigerian Education Research and Development (NERDC) Abuja. His unpublished works include Great Nigerian Scientists, The Genesis of Biochemistry, The Inventor’s Spirit, History of African Science, and Ideas about getting Ideas. He has, over time, expressed that greatness lies ahead. In his view, “We have not attained greatness yet, but greatness lies ahead”.